POWER TO SENIORS is a program that helps older adults pay their energy bills when they have inadequate resources. The program is managed by Golden Umbrella and every dollar goes directly to pay utility bills.
Over the past 10 years, the community has contributed almost $300,000 to POWER TO SENIORS and helped more than 780 older adults to keep their electricity on.
The typical recipient is an older adult on a fixed income who has received a “past due” notice on their utility bill. The average payment is between $500-$1000.
Staff works closely with each recipient to assure that they use all other possible resources prior to taking a donation from POWER TO SENIORS. Staff also works with families to develop a budget to prevent the problem from re-occurring and makes referrals for other community resources.
NEED HELP PAYING YOUR ELECTRIC BILL?
You may be eligible if:
- Your power has been shut off.
- You have received a shut-off notice that you are not able to pay.
- You have not received assistance from POWER TO SENIORS in the past 2 years.
To qualify for assistance you must be:
- 62 years or older and the bill must be in your name.
- Your income cannot exceed 200% of the Federal Poverty Level.
To discuss payment assistance, please call Golden Umbrella at 530-223-6034
WANT TO HELP?
Contribute to the SHARE program
Households and businesses can contribute when paying their Redding Electric Utility bill by including a specific donation amount on the line for POWER TO SENIORS / SHARE.
Attend the Celebrity Soup Kitchen
Each year the Celebrity Soup Kitchen raises more than $10,000 to provide utility assistance to low-income seniors. You can support this event by:
- Attending the Soup Kitchen
- Buying raffle tickets
- Donating a basket for the raffle
- Donating soup, desserts, or other items
- Donating money
- Volunteering to help
CELEBRITY SOUP KITCHEN
The Celebrity Soup Kitchen is the annual fundraising event sponsored by the Older Adult Policy Council to support POWER TO SENIORS. The event includes:
- Gourmet soups provided by local chefs and restaurants.
- Soups served by local dignitaries and community celebrities.
- Live entertainment
- Fabulous raffle prizes donated by City and County departments, local organization and businesses.
- Delicious desserts.
Write a check in any amount made out to Golden Umbrella with a note in the memo line indicating POWER TO SENIORS.
200 Mercy Oaks Drive
Redding, CA 96003